Car insurance provides financial protection in case of a car accident that results in damage to the vehicle or injuries to you or any passengers. There are many coverage options to choose from when purchasing car insurance. Whether you are a new driver or upgrading your policy, you need to make sure that your vehicle is adequately covered, so you are protected in case of an accident. NY Auto quotes offers affordable car insurance quotes in New York. You can easily compare top car insurance rates with several companies and pick the one that suits your needs and budget. Get affordable car insurance quotes and save.
Different types of car insurance coverage in New York
All car owners in New York State are required to have car insurance coverage. Below are the different types of car insurance coverage available in New York:
- No fault coverage: “No fault” coverage is mandatory for all car drivers in New York State. It pays for bodily injury and vehicle damages when an accident occurs, regardless of who's at fault.
- Bodily injury liability coverage: This coverage protects the accident victim if the accident is caused by the policy holder. It is intended to provide protection to the policy holder’s financial assets so that the driver does not go bankrupt after the car accident. Every car driver in New York State is required to purchase bodily injury liability coverage.
- Personal Injury Protection or “PIP” coverage: New York law also requires Personal Injury Protection or “PIP” coverage. It pays for the cost of injuries sustained by the policy holder and their passengers in an accident, regardless of who is at fault. The PIP policy covers the cost of medical care and treatment, lost wages as well as other reasonable expenses.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists liability coverage: This coverage is also mandatory in New York State. It protects the insurance policy holder and their passengers, if an accident occurs with an underinsured or an uninsured driver. This type of insurance also covers hit-and-run accidents. An insurer must also offer SUM (Supplementary Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists) coverage according to insured’s bodily injury liability limits.
- Collision coverage: Collision coverage pays for the policy holder’s vehicle repair or replacement in an accident, regardless of who is at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: Comprehensive coverage pays for vehicle damages caused by other effects, such as fire, floods, animal impact, vehicle theft and more.
- Medical Pay coverage: A coverage that provides compensation for medical expenses for you and any passengers involved in a car accident, regardless of who is at fault. Additional medical coverage can also be added to the policy.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment: It offers additional coverage in an accident when a family member or passenger suffers a serious injury or death.
Factors to consider before obtaining car insurance coverage
Before purchasing car insurance, you should consider the States’ minimum requirement. However, you can obtain higher coverage limits and additional car insurance coverage for better protection. The factors to consider before obtaining car insurance coverage are:
- Personal assets: If you have valuable assets or finances, then you need a higher liability coverage amount. You can lose your assets if your policy does not cover liability costs in an accident.
- Your budget: What you can afford determines your coverage limits. Failure to pay premiums can lead to cancellation and a lapse in coverage.
- The risk you can handle: If you pay lower premiums you will have higher deductibles. This means that you will pay high liability cost out of your pocket, even in a claim or lawsuit.
- Your vehicle: The type of additional coverage you need depends on your vehicle. For example, you may need comprehensive coverage if your car is new or very valuable. Your lien-holder may also require you to obtain collision and comprehensive coverage.
Contact NY Auto Quotes for the best car insurance in New York
Pick the best car insurance policy today in the comfort of your home or office. We need only 3 minutes to shop for the very best rates for you. Get your Quotes today by calling NY Auto Quotes at 800-490-6174. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.